Friday, July 23, 2010

No longer defined

Today was liberating!

This morning as I went to get ready I decided to try on one of the shirts I have been holding onto for 7.5 years. They were my cute little shirts that I wore before I got pregnant with Caleb. I am now 3 pounds away from that weight and wanted to see if they fit...

They DID!
Only they were about 8 inches short!

How the styles of shirts have changed - and thank goodness for that. One by one I tried them on, saw they fit, and then threw them into a DI pile because I didn't like them. I then decided to pull everything out of my closet an try it on and evaluate it. I decided there were no "iffy" clothes going back in. I either love it or its gone. There are shirts that I threw away that still fit but I never feel "cute" in them. There are shirts I threw away because I don't like that style anymore, even though at one time I loved it!

After I was all done I decided it was time to get dressed and it was so great to look through a closet full of clothes that I wanted to wear. Some of them are still a tiny bit snug but they will fit within 5 pounds. My closet is pretty sparse but that has helped me realize what I need to buy next.

For 7.5 years I have defined myself by those clothes in the back of my closet that I was determined to fit into again. I did that and I'm proud of myself.

But now, I will define myself and my style by who I am today and not some whisper of a girl I use to be.

5 comments:

Marci Wittwer Butterfield said...

I love this!!! Also great work for getting down to the size you are; that is an accomplishment all in itself!

Megan said...

congrats!!!

Sarie said...

You are so awesome, Lisa. What a great day! I need to do that.

Grandma Caroline said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!!! I did that too and I felt so good when I did it.

Abbie said...

That is so AWESOME!!! Don't you just love it when those clothes from way back when fit? WooHoo!!!