Friday, July 9, 2010

J & L - Preparation

* I am writing our love story, if you want to start and the beginning click here. At the very bottom of that post you can click on "newer post" and it will take you through our story in order.

Our story actually starts 2 1/2 years before we ever met. I was at BYU getting ready to go to Romania and John was getting ready to go to the Philippines on his 2 year mission for our church. It just so happens that our passports were issued on the exact same day.


We were also endowed in the Temple within a 2 week time period. I was endowed on January 16th 1999 and John was endowed 2 weeks later on the 30th. Why is this so significant to us? Mostly because John and I both feel that his mission and my time in Romania is what made us who are today. Not only as individuals but it was also during that time that we both really got a sense of who we wanted to marry. There is something about being far from home, on your own, in a more simplified world that strips ones thoughts and ideas from all of the clutter and excess. Grandma Henderson taught me a term one of her friends used -values clarification - to understand what values are at the core of us. We both feel that we were the best person we have ever been at those times off serving others in a country not of our own and feeling closer to our spiritual inner self than ever before. In that environment we were able to realize what it was that really mattered to us in a future partner.

Its amazing to see that we were being prepared for each other at the exact same time. We have talked about things at those times in our lives and we share a lot of the same experiences and feelings. I don't think there is necessarily a one and only person for everyone - but I do believe that John and I were prepared for each other.

Sometimes I'm a little hesitant to share our story because it happened so fast! I actually would never recommend that anyone get engaged and married as fast as we did. My stomach flips when I think about how our marriage could be so different had one or both of us not been completely honest with presenting who they were.

That said, given our circumstances, the timing was perfect for us. Each couple has their own story and what is right for one is not right for the other. I love that each love story is as unique as every couple.

John and my paths first crossed in Oct of 2001...

No comments: