Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The right place at the right time

I know that there are 3 very specific choices that I have made in my life that I can look back and see that they were the major crossroads in my life that have led me to who I am now and where I am now.
They are:
  • Going to BYU
  • Going to Romania
  • Going to Seattle
I look back on each of those experiences and see the way that I was led by the Lord to be in the right place at the right time.

BYU that's obvious...my Dad told me I had to apply to 2 schools at least. I wanted to go to Ricks college (its now BYU Idaho but at the time it was a JC). I applied to BYU because I wanted to appease my Dad. I didn't have the grades or ACT score for BYU but my Dad insisted. I got the letter from BYU and I was shocked when I saw that I had been accepted. I think I just about killed my Dad when I said I still wanted to go to Ricks. Everyone thought I was crazy but I didn't care. Then I got my rejection letter from Ricks. Seriously? Who gets into a very competitive 4 year school and gets rejected from a Junior College. I had no choice but to go to BYU.

See what I mean led to go the right place....or more like forced but I'm stubborn and the Lord knows that. Ive never written about my experience that led me to Romania and wanted to write it down so that I would never forget how I was once again held by the hand and directed to go.

It was halfway though the fall semester at BYU of my Junior year. I think the weather was getting to me. I wanted to go home. I told my parents and my Dad was not happy (at this point I may as well point out that my Dad has been pivotal in all of these stories and been a major catalyst). I really wanted to come home and he finally agreed but told me to register for classes at least, just in case I changed my mind. Hes really good at contingency plans. I like most smart daughters ignored his advice because I just KNEW I wasn't going to be staying at BYU for the Winter Semester.

In December I was getting everything ready to go home and there was probably about a week left in the semester. One day I was walking across campus (right in front of the Joesph Smith Memorial building going toward the Eyring Science Center) and my feelings just changed. I mean in 1 second I felt the complete opposite. I COULD NOT go home. I was shocked I didn't know what to do! I tried to register for some classes but NONE of my classes were open. I was freaking out. My Dad was going to be so mad at me!

I went to my Parenting class that day so upset and so unsure of what to do. My teacher started class and said that he had a quick announcement and that they were trying to put together a group of students from the Nursing, Sociology, and Human Development programs to go over to Romania and work in an Orphanage there. They apologised that it was last minute because it was for the next semester so if you were going you would have to drop all of your classes.

It hit me so powerfully that this was my answer.

I went straight over to see Dr Seger in the SWKT to talk to him about it. He told me what they wanted to do and told me that there were going to be interviews that week. I was so nervous both to tell my Dad and also that I might not be accepted.

When I went to the interview there were about 20 people there and they were taking 3. They had us do all sorts of activities where we had to problem solve and they were just watching us. I was so nervous I don't think I said much of anything. I felt like a lab rat. They also asked us questions in small groups. They said they were going to narrow it down (I cant remember to how many) and then call us back for individual interviews. I knew I had blown it. I just remember being so sad and so disheartened about the whole thing.

I don't remember how I found I had a second interview but this time I went in more confident. Talk to me one on one, I can handle that. I thought it went well but I saw some of the other girls that got invited back and I didn't feel a lot of hope. The competition was stiff. When I got the acceptance I felt the most excited I had ever felt to that point in my life! I was accepted! I was saved from having to tell my Dad I didn't really register for classes like he had told me to do a hundred times!

I remember asking my parents if I could go. At the time I was really insensitive to the fact that it probably cost them a lot of money not to mention the worry of sending your only daughter to a very 3rd world country. It never even occurred to me to think of the details like that. I was a little bit spoiled, I wont deny that. My parents were supportive and I had their permission!

When my feelings had switched and I thought I need to stay at BYU after thinking I needed to go home I remember feeling so dumb. Why did I change my mind so much? Why when I was trying to do what was right did I always feel like I was messing things up?

I can see now that it was really the promptings of the Spirit that led me to those feelings that eventually led me right where I needed to be. What I love even more and is such a testimony to me is how mindful my Heavenly Father is of each of us. He knows me so personally that he was able to not only use me but also my Dads innate qualities to lead me right where I needed to be. He knew exactly how to help me get there.

I'm so grateful for that. I'm so grateful that I have the parents I do.

It changed my life.

2 comments:

Grandma Caroline said...

You were lucky to have the dad you had. I missed a lot of super moments and experiences not having a father. You are blessed.

Larry and Leah said...

There are several huge milestones in my life that have come from being in the right place at the right time. I don't think they were coincidences.