Monday, January 25, 2010

Putting your foot in your mouth...Southern Utah style

Today I went to the grocery store kid free. I know, awesome!

I was in line and the lady behind me was in one of those motorized carts. She also was Polygamist. I offered to put her groceries onto the belt for her so she didn't have to get out of the wheelchair. She agreed and thanked me and we started to chit chat.

I told her how great it was to be kid free. She said she was sure her daughters would relate.

(Okay for the record in my mind I registered Grandma...not Polygamist Grandma.)
So I say:

"How many grandchildren do you have."

The look on her face made me realise that wasn't the best question to ask a Polygamist...
Whoops.

For the record after a few seconds she said, "Oh, about 15."

3 comments:

Abbie said...

That's a good one. I am laughing so hard. I'm surprised she was even talking to you, I don't think they usually do. But really, 15 isn't that many. (Unless she only has like 2 kids)

Geoff Steurer said...

You rock... seriously, you're so easy to talk to that I'm sure you completely disarmed her and she let down her guard. Did you see the cover story in National Geographic this month on Colorado City? Fascinating.

Karla DeCamp said...

That is an awesome story! When I worked at the studio, I actually got a call from one of my old clients (polygamist family who had a family picture done in '95)she was writing a book and wanted to use one of the pictures I took in it. "Shattered Dreams." by Irene Spencer. I was so excited when the book came out looking for the picture. And darn, she didn't give me credit:(