Sunday, October 11, 2009



We were so excited to hear that you could just go pick pine nuts up off of the ground in the mountains and knew we HAD to go! I'm sad to admit that I'm 31 years old and I never knew that pine nuts came from a pine cone. I was feeling rather dumb but then John admitted he didn't either! So at least I have company in my ignorance.

It was fun! The trees are really sappy and we got covered in sap but it was worth it and I saved my pine cones for Christmas time when I have no doubt they will scent up our whole house!

Davis was the best little helper ever! He loved carrying the Tupperware around and got SO excited when he would find one.

And just in full disclosure I had sweets this weekend. I have gone since the beginning of February until now without eating desserts. I'm not off of sugar, just desserts and treats. But when we were up picking pine nuts we didn't have a lot of food and my friend Pam had given us some trail mix and there were some M&M's in it and I wasn't even thinking and ate some. Then today Pam brought over some Pumpkin roll and I had a piece. (I'm sensing a pattern here Pam!)

The rolls were good but I could eat all of them so I think its safe to say that tomorrow I'm back off treats!

6 comments:

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

Way to point the finger Lisa! haha j/k! When I send treats over this holiday season I will just send enough for John and the boys! I do not want to be blamed for a relapse! haha j/k! Thanks for the pinenuts btw! Super yummy!

Megan Bartlett said...

Your page is so adorable! And your hair is so long! I love it! I bet John loves it too! You guys look great! I'm so happy to see how adorable and grown up the boys are getting! We miss you guys! PV seems so long ago...

Mae said...

Your will power has always awed me. Way to go! If only I could get off bedtime snacks I might be a little slimmer...It's almost as if I can't go to sleep until I've eaten something. Go figure.

Glad you had fun gathering pine nuts! I didn't know they were from pines, either! I took the kids to gather acorns but we didn't find many.

Mark and/or Lisa said...

Also didn't know that's where pine nuts come from... makes so much sense when you think about it.

Grandma Caroline said...

Well, add your mom to the list of persons who didn't realize pine nuts came from pinecones. I have perobably seen them, but never put 2 & 2 together, duh! Thanks for enlightening all of us Lisa.

Abbie said...

Funny that you didn't know where pinenuts came from :D My family would go picking pine nuts every year when I was younger and then sell them like crazy. Everyone wants them for the deer hunt. Although it seems we were always were the ones way up high on the ladders in the trees and also the ones always falling out of the trees and ended up going home with bodies full of bruises :( It's a memory that I will have forever. Let me know if you need to know anything else about pine nuts-I can probably tell ya! Glad you had fun!