Friday, August 14, 2009

First actual day at school


Without even a backward glance Caleb ran to line up with his class and enter his
first day of school without Mom.


I started to tear up but in a matter of seconds Beckham filled his diaper to bring me quickly back to the moment of what needed to be done.
  • Join the PTA- check
  • Get medication to office-check
  • Get pediatrician to fax medication authorization forms to school-check
  • Sign up to volunteer-check
  • Turn in emergency contact forms-check
  • Figure out bus number, bus stop, and time....ummm UNCHECKED!
Today is the second day of school and they still couldn't tell us anything other than the stop he was going to was a trailer park 3 miles away where there are about 10 registered sex offenders living and its a really dangerous left hand turn back onto the highway. I was trying to find the stop before because I was not comfortable with that stop and they couldn't tell me anything. In fact they couldn't tell what buses existed and which didn't!

Long story short: They were having us drive 3 miles when there was a stop a mile from our house. I get the transportation dept to assure me that bus 318 is his bus, it stops at Sand Hallow Rd and Flora tech road at 10:56 today. They did mention at the end of the call that if our kids show up missing, don't worry they will find them but please remain calm!?!

This is 20 minutes before school is out. I ask if the school knows that bus 308 has been replaced with 318 and she says she hasn't had a chance to call them yet. I call the school 5 minutes later to verify she did call and they in fact know what bus our kids are going on. They do- Bus 318.

In rolls bus 318- NO KIDS on it!

Call the school, they don't know where they are!?! Seriously if there ever was a poster story for why we should not have the government run our health care, it would be how they run school transportation! The bus driver of 318 gets on his radio and finds out that bus 308, that no longer exists, has them and is 10 minutes behind 318.

He did FINALLY arrive and he loved the bus!



Can you tell I'm one of those overdramatic first time Moms!

6 comments:

Abbie said...

The whole bus situation can be a bit scary at times. I'm glad you were able to find him and hopefully they will have it worked out next week.

Grandma Caroline said...

You are the perfect mom~ I would have been balistic by then and demanded that they produce my child at least 10 minutes ago! By now I'd have them asking me where I want my kids dropped off! Congratulations, you survived it!

Raelyn said...

Aren't we all. Seriously. It is kinda important to know where our kids are! :) He looked super cute! Tys class last year only had 6 boys total...looks like Calebs is better then that!

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

I love the pics of Caleb getting off the bus! SOOOO CUTE!

jakenapril said...

phew! this reminds me of another bus story from my sil...argh! glad things are all sorted out and that caleb loved it!

Lawther family said...

Got to love it huh? Idid the same thing last year. It was crazy. Is Steve the bus driver? He is great with those little ones.