Sunday, July 31, 2011

Super Saturday!

John and I had a big day yesterday. I canned...

  • 3 jars of green beans
  • 3 jars of salsa
  • 17 jars of pepper jelly
  • 2 frozen enchilada sauces
While John ran the irrigation to 3 new boxes, finished the boxes, shoveled and hauled compost and sand to them!


Plus it was over 100 degrees and so humid! He was so tough! More boxes means more canning next year...don't know if that makes me happy or tired! Just kidding! Those 3 boxes will be for things that come back each year. One for the tomatillos, one for strawberries, and one for blackberries.

Speaking of the garden somethings are going so great!



I was just thinking how great our squash was looking. Cursed myself and found so many squash bugs this morning that had already eaten a huge section of our squash. John and I went to town pulling out the dead part and squishing squash bugs. This is what it looked like when we finished.

One big gaping hole.

Which is pretty good compared to what it looks like now...



I guess they can be really hard to get rid of. My garden Sensei Lea from the Pecan farm told us the best thing to do would be to pull them and replant. After seeing how many there were when pulling them out I would have to agree. They laid eggs on everything and we are still hunting for them. Last year we learned about tomato worms...this year its squash bugs...don't know that I want to know whats coming next year.

We keep learning, I guess that's the important thing!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ugg!bugs! You wouldn't want what I found in my backyard either. :)

Rachelle said...

I'm very impressed with your canning!!