Friday, June 24, 2011

A love affair with office supplies

I am in the process of trying to assimilate all of my Moms things into my home and if you knew my Mom you probably understand that this is not an easy feat!

Today I unpacked 5 boxes of pens, pencils, rulers, calculators, books, white out, sharpies, tape, a zillion organizers, and anything else you could possible think of in the office supply department. My Mom had a thing for office supplies...one that I inherited.

Growing up I loved when the fall was coming and my Mom would take us school supply shopping. Forget clothes - I wanted highlighters and new pencils! I loved to go up and down the aisles of Farr's Stationary store and pick out my notebook, my pencil holder, dividers, a new magic rub eraser, and of course a couple of mechanical pencils with their reloading lead that came in the small tubes. I loved to go home and put it all together.

I felt some of that excitement today as I unpacked all of the extra office supplies that she had collected. Yes, I think collected is an appropriate word - my Mom did collect office supplies. She was the best boy scout ever - Be prepared - and she was prepared for anything and everything!

Everything finally has found a home and is labeled and organized and it feels so good. Almost like the first day of school all over again.

No comments: