Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I despise collection agencies

No ...despise is too kind...I HATE them with every inch of my body.

When John and I went to buy our first home there was an AT&T bill in collections that was not ours on his credit report (along with address and a falsified Social Security number that went with this bill-Nice). We disputed it off but not before our house closed and so we paid an extra half of a percent on our house because when we closed they took the average of his scores and since one of them was in the toilet we were screwed. Eventually it got taken off and the collections company said there was no SS# or birthday associated with the account so they have "no idea how that got on his credit report because they cant report it to the credit bureaus without one."

Fast forward to us buying our car...Johns credit on two reports beautiful, like over 800 beautiful, but this stupid AT&T bill was back on one of his reports (that of course cant be reported to the Credit reporting agencies since there is no SS# attached). Luckily the bank only uses one and that wasn't the one they used. Well I started to dispute this off again but this time they are coming after us. Because I contacted them they have started harassing us. We get calls as early as 7 in the morning and as late at 9 at night. When I have tried to explain that its not John and actually provided them with the phone number and the address of the person responsible they say that there is no way I cant prove its not John so they will keep calling. When Ive spoke with a supervisor I was given to the most mean spirited, seriously got to be on the brink of therapy or just failed her anger management classes, woman who wont talk to me unless I agree to settle the debt. When I started to say, "Its not our deb..." She cuts in with, "do you think I care, if you want us to go away you better settle it."

No joke. I never knew that one of their tactics was to intimated good people to try to settle other peoples debt just to make them go away.

To bad for them they picked a really stubborn person to go head to head with. I have been in contact with AT&T over three times and they cant find this debt (although we do know its real because we know who the debt belongs to). I'm going to get AT&T to either find it and provide them with the SS# or if AT&T says they really cant find it then I'm going to go after them for providing a debt to someone without complete information and then "losing" their own files.

I HATE PALISADES COLLECTION

But I think I'm going to enjoy beating them at their little game.

What kind of person can work at a collections agency? Seriously they are all course, hard, rude, mean, and generally the most unhappy people I have ever talked to. A bit of advice...if you are thinking about working for a collections agency, don't do it.

Why don't some people just pay their bills...the dishonestly kills me. The person responsible for this bill has known about it for over 4 years and still goes on pretending to be an honest person and tries to put on the show that everything is great financially. Oh and lets not forget that with the addresses that go with this person is also a false social security number 99-999-7342, that's real honest. And yet, it hurts others while they sit on their high horse of lies....

Oh wait isn't that why this economy is tanking, people are not paying their bills and just walking away from their responsibilities while honest people who pay their bills are hurting and having to worry about how all those other peoples bad choices are going to effect us...

Can you tell I'm kind of jaded today....

(Squaring my shoulders)

Watch out Palisades....you just opened a box....

6 comments:

jakenapril said...

sounds like it's time to get gephardt (channel 2 news). that is unreal! and when stuff on your report is wrong, let me just agree with you that it is soooo hard to get it cleared. how is it that false information like that is on there in a flash, yet so ironic that it's even harder to get it off, isn't it?
preachin' to the choir. (story for another day.)

Grandma Caroline said...

Lisa, why not tell us how your really feel? ;)

SLO Rober said...

Go get em. Maybe I should try and take that tactic when collecting loan payments? Good luck and may the force be with you!

Mark and/or Lisa said...

Man that is really jacked up (btw, it's not our bill right?)

And DANG Gina. I just did a tally and you are posting 14 times for every one post we do! Sheesh. Good thing you'll be out of town this weekend to slow you down and decrease our post differential.

Sara said...

Oh man, that's awful! You can demand them to stop calling and by law they are supposed to stop (or something like that). But seriously, that is so messed up! AT&T needs to get this worked out and fast! Can you get someone from their department talk to the collection agency?

Don't hate us but we sent collections on someone. They were our tenants for our rental and caused about 10K in damages. It's been 4 years now and we've never seen a penny. Don't think we ever will. But they really screwed us with their lack of integrity and dishonesty. I don't feel sorry for them.

SoCal Rogers said...

Hey- If you need some advice or help let me know. My job is helping people in your same situation. I can give you information. Plus, if you have that woman's information (i.e. name, phone number, company name) you can report her to the Consumer Affairs Department for unjust harrasement und ther Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Just a thought if you really want to get her!